About Me

My photo
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
PhD in Rhetoric and Composition + Senior Lecturer in Composition at Wayne State University with a passion for education, health, and fitness (mental and physical). I teach writing, research composition, and blog about anything from teaching fitness, owning a small business, physical and mental health, to perspectives on body acceptance and body positivity.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Stanley Fish!


In many ways this week's reading by Stanley Fish complicates my previous blog post about distinguishing between form/author/content - the "trifecta" that I so eagerly wish to preserve given my limited time in the field of literary critique.  While I most certainly welcome many of the assertions that Fish makes about the nature of interpretation and its importance to "what we do" with the written word, I can't help but call into question the ultimately value of the position.  Now, I will make a disclaimer and say that I am not a fan of my last sentence - it gives me that uneasy feeling of "preservation" as if I believe that forms and author intentions are something worth saving - in my scholarly "heart of hearts" I can say that I do not.

I will begin by recalling an example I gave in my previous blog post about the novel Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas. Essentially, I claimed that because the "form" of the text - that it is written entire in second person - is distinct from the content purely because after almost a decade, I can recall the form when I can barely given an account of the content/story.  Of course one can (and will) contend that the form of the text is no different than the content as they are all the choice of the author - in Fish's terms, one might say they are all a function of the author's assumptions about his reader and thus his bend to interpretive communities (or one in particular).

Yes, Tom Robbins chose to write his book in the second person because there was an assumption that his readership would understand the move (that it is "different" and "unique") and thus the book ended up in an undergraduate literature course in which students were asked to "interpret" the use of the narrative form - why might this form be effective? What would the author want, if anything, TO affect? How might the form change the way the reader receives the text and (assuming that authors write for anyone else but themselves) why does it matter and to whom?  And there were all were, members of an interpretive community that understood narration (or now did after the book-as-vehicle for membership into this interpretive community).

And this is what interests me most about Fish's "interpretive communities" - that my earlier privileging of memory insofar as the form of the book is what made it memorable is even more important now when I think of it this way: the form of the book not only made the text itself linger, but it also either A) called forth an already-existing knowledge which proved membership of an interpretive community or B) created membership in an interpretive community - one that could only assist a budding literary scholar in their later endeavors. 

And that's all well and good but for the question of the form itself which I think, still, deserves a closer look.  I say this purely to push the boundary of the difference between interpretive communities which already exist (as in the case of Robbins - the second person narrative form existed as well as a readership/interpretive community to receive it) and the moment that an interpretive community is created.  I wish to draw a distinction between the two and suggest that the moment a form is given a name - and thus becomes a form as we know it - functions differently (perhaps in the ripple-effect of interpretation it causes) than one that is appropriated.  

I would like to believe that even though "...interpretive communities are not natural or universal, but learned" (457) that there is a timeline in which certain forms can be traced and the closer that we might get to that moment of inception (as impossible or laborious the task would/may be), that the notion of interpretive community may, in fact, change.  Or perhaps that's only due to how we choose to interpret it...

Mind=blown.

4 comments:

  1. I like that idea you close with: it would be interesting (and valuable I think) to investigate the innovations that created certain forms and the persistence of those forms over time, to see how those forms functioned when they were new as opposed to how they come to function over time as they become established, and to see what kinds of interpretive communities develop in response to new forms and what changes about those communities over time. But (at the risk of simply re-airing my complaint from my own blogpost about Fish) what bugs me in Fish's explanation of interpretive communities is he seems to want to leave them as fundamentally unknowable entities, where awareness of an interpretive community can never extend beyond a sort of introverted intuition that perhaps someone else shares a similar interpretation of a work. I like your idea better because it seems to point to how Fish's idea of interpretive communities could potentially be really valuable. I just suspect Fish himself needs to be left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your overall sentiment about Fish. I'm not sure if you've read "Save the World on Your Own Time," but if you get the chance: do it - it's one of the books where it's difficult to feel "lukewarm" while reading it. Then again, I've felt that way about almost everything of his I've read.

      Delete
    2. Stanley Fish was so revolutionary in his time: the ideas of "interpretive communities" was a major breakthrough in understanding how textual meaning is produced. However, he then he became a Public Figure and turned into a reactionary, back-to-basics creep. Or maybe I have the cause-effect backwards. In any case, don't ever read anything he publishes in the New York Times. (And let's hope he's too high-and-mighty to ever Google himself and find my comments.)

      Delete
  2. So I feel like there are three forms here, as far as interpretive communities go: the interpretive community before it is fixed with naming, the interpretive community at the moment of naming, and the interpretive community as an appropriated form. And here is where I like your idea about whether the form could be changed as one gets closer to the moment of its inception, because it speaks to the amorphous (I readily admit that I'm supposing that it would be amorphous without any proof to back it up) nature of the community before anyone makes the defining statement of what it is. I wonder if, in that state, there might not be something about an interpretive community (the semantics of that term is going to kill my idea, I think) that is natural. In other words, does the ability to shape the interpretive community however one would, before it receives a definite shape due to naming, suggest a kind of "originary" substance (and possibly universal) out of which one could conceivably create a myriad of forms (and traceable timelines that would lead back to the source)?

    ReplyDelete