About Me

My photo
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
PhD in Rhetoric and Composition + Senior Lecturer in Composition at Wayne State University with a passion for education, health, and fitness (mental and physical). I teach writing, research composition, and blog about anything from teaching fitness, owning a small business, physical and mental health, to perspectives on body acceptance and body positivity.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Ding Dong the Author's Dead

For years I've been trying to determine why I don't care about authorship or copyright. Perhaps it's because I've never really stood to make a substantial amount of money from a publication, or perhaps it's because I'm rather nonchalant about the sharing of information and ideas.  After this week's readings, I think, for me, it comes down to an interest in what happens *after* the ideas/information are released - the discursive possibilities, as Foucault would have it. 

My earliest thoughts of this nature were in undergraduate literature classes where I began to notice (through class discussions and paper assignments) that our consideration of the text had little to do with the author's intentions and more to do about our interpretations of the author.  Save for one or two instructors who insisted that certain canonical figures had a very specific meaning by what they wrote, much of the concern was about interpretations and implications.  My current attitude toward authors most certainly differs depending on the type of work I'm reading. I approach authorship in literature much differently than I do in theoretical/philosophical work and another level of difference exists for authors of empirical research (again, much aligned with Foucault).

Thinking about this in terms of the possible functions that a subject can have in a discourse (assuming that is what the text becomes post-production) - for empirical research, the subject remains for me simply as an example.  To clarify, when I read an empirical study about classroom praxis (which I have been doing a lot of lately), I see the author of the study as an exemplar of what to do (or in some cases, what not to do) in my future work.  The author-subject is present insofar as he/she has made a dent in a body of scholarship with a study design that cannot be disputed in its structure/creation no matter how the results are interpreted/utilized in future work.  I suppose the subject of theoretical and literary work could be regarded in precisely the same way - or many ways - but my first thought immediately goes to the work of authors like Tom Robbins, particularly his book "Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas" written entirely in second person.  I'm certain if I went to Google, I would find books written in second person prior to his, but it still remains striking in its form (not just its content) and for that reason it has made a "structural dent."  The story itself I can barely recall - but I'll never forget that book in terms of its structure, and because of that I'll never forget the author.  The same thing happened when I read the novel First Light by Charles Baxter* - the story is vague, but the form (and therefore the subject in this case) remains.

Ultimately, I agree with Barthes assertion that "to give a text an Author is to impose a limit on that text" (279).  However, Barthes notes that giving a text an Author will "close the writing," but what do we do with formal/structural elements? While one can interpret Baxter and Robbins's stories however they choose, to what degree can they completely interpret form/structure? And to what end? We can weigh in on effectiveness and quality, sure, but form remains as we have given that a name far beyond the author-subject.  The same goes for the the empirical researcher - we can read her data and ruminate on the implications, but can we challenge/dispute the form of the study (beyond value judgments: good, bad, irresponsible, negligent, solid, etc)? And if so, what would we gain from it?

* The novel is written backwards.

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog both intriguing and confusing at the same time. Are you suggesting that author and structure are more closely related than author and text? Or that author and structure can be separated more easily? Or that the connection between author and structure is similar to the connection between author and text? (Sorry, but I am obviously having comprehension issues right now.) No matter which, I find this focus on structure to be interesting, as it is something that I, at least, often overlook unless it slaps me in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why can't I be suggesting all of those things?! :) In fact, the issue I attempt to raise here addresses all of the questions you've picked up on - I think it's important to think about the "trifecta" of author/text/form (or structure). Whichever question we choose, all are relevant and all are important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I want to ask for clarification as well. Are you suggesting that form is somehow more original than content, and therefore more deserving of an inherent claim to originality? I'm not sure Barthes would see form as somehow distinct from other issues; it is also a construct of language and so equally an open and infinite space. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you...or Barthes. Correct me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I'm suggesting that form is *not* original insofar as it is something that, as I put it, exists before the author (in the examples I've given here). The choice to write a book in the second person narrative form does not mean the form is original - but the fact that *most* books are not written that way, makes the form - and the use of it - distinct (not original. If I meant to suggest that form is more original than content, I would have made that assertion. :) Rather, I'm suggesting that the author (in these cases) did not *create* the form - it is not their original idea but yet the use of it (in empirical research as well - study designs are chosen, rarely *created*) is distinct from the content of the story.

    I am inclined to agree with you about Barthes and how he would address the issue of form - in fact, my recollection of the difference between pleasure/bliss and readerly/writerly texts (a la The Pleasure of the Text) complicates the notion of form even further. At the very least, again using Tom Robbins as an example, the reader is more likely to understand the second person narrative *form* as a constant (unattributable to the author) more so than saying "Oh, people have already written books about the complicated lives of several people and how those lives intersect."

    Yes form is a construct of language, but I think if we were to sue an author in court, the judge would be less likely to blame the author for the form than the content - yes, Robbins chose to use second person but he did not *create* second person. Yes, a researcher might choose to use interviews and surveys, but they did not come up with the idea of an interview of a survey. So, it's not so much original/unoriginal but degrees of perceived originality.

    This is how I wish to complicate form/content and distinguish between the two. I hope that offers *some* clarity! haha

    ReplyDelete